Plasterboard on 4.5" brick wall in porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating a biggish porch (2.5m x 1m) built from large windows and a 4.5" (single layer) brick wall. I am thinking of putting plasterboard over the brick. I understand that using dot and dab is not advisable in this situation so was thinking of 1" thick battens with insulation in between.

The problem with this is the overall thickness (~38mm). At the end of the wall and at right-angles to it is the porch door. The door frame is fixed directly to the wall and is only about 40mm wide - so most of it will disappear behind the plasterboard.

Is there an approach I could use that would reduce the thickness of the wall covering?

Graham

Sponsored Links
You could stop the board before an return it to the the frame either square or with a taper. Just a thought a piccy would help visualise what you are trying to do

Also you could put more battens in and use 9mm board
It will shave a few extra mm off

Thanks for your suggestions Reeves2k2. I have now found another thread where the advice in a similar situation was to use foil-backed plasterboard and fix this direct to the bricks with screws. That would certainly solve my problem.

Graham

Sponsored Links
No problem graham

There is usually a solution to most situations just takes a bit of time to sit and think methodically about it

Can get rather painful if you want to get the job done

But like anything it's better to do something right rather than not being happy and doing it twice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back