Filling joints in slab walls..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a fast and easy way to tidy up the joints in the slabs of a Compton garage ??

I really do not want to batten and board it, but would want to somehow fill the gaps and give it a paint-over :)

IMG_20201014_101428_resized_20201014_101525415.jpg

Sponsored Links
Will look a pigs ear unless done correctly, either live with it or board .

Yeah i'm beginning to think that.

The garage was badly assembled - the levels are everywhere

I'm thinking to glue battens on then plasterboard it maybe - the slabs really do not like being drilled, the fracture and large lumps break off easily, drilling is not an option. The battens will only need to hold the boards, no cupboards etc. What sort of boards would be ok in a garage?

I could possibly fix battens to the bolts with L brackets but that would only mean one batten at wide spaces - about 48" IIRC

Had no problem drilling in my old garage just depth is limited .You could fit Osb sheet with foam adhesive and paint or overboard that with plasterboard which could then take fixings.

Sponsored Links
Just been studying the task ;)

It will need battens as the bolts protrude about 25mm inside so foam gluing would mean a minimum gap of 25mm foam, not sure if that will work??

I can add 50mm odd panelling depth to the inside, that will still leave room (just) for a full size UK pool table and full size cues :)

I'm thinking to fix battens to the concrete with L brackets on the original bolts, then clad with 12mm birch ply.

Insulation ?? Is Celotex/Kingspan the only way? I guess it will make it feel a lot better if insulated?

The battens will be on 48" centres, sort of, going to be a tough job i think, thats one panel per section.

Do the floor first then batten and panel the walls?

Easy enough to grind bolts flush or cut holes so the boards sit flush. Insulated plasterboard would be simpler.

Simpler but i cant see a way to fix and get any sort of levels on this badly built garage - the panels are everywhere, thats why i think battens would be the better option at least they can be levelled pretty well, its going to be a pain whatever i think

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.40.15.png
Picture shows dimension of wall construction, sizes are a pain of course. Ply will be 8x4 or 1220 x 2440 and the spacing is the same as the panel width.

The bolt centres where i need to attach L brackets for battens are 1220

If i fit one panel vertically per bay, i'll have a 170mm gap to fill on each post which means a lot of joins.

Is there a better way to panel awkward spaced battens?

Below is a side view on the roof, this seems a bit easier.
Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.29.12.png
But the truss spacings are 1390 so again i'll have a 120mm gap to fill (170mm spacing less truss width)

At least the roof is insulated and battened already :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back