Pool table in a double garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have a home metalwork business in my 14' x 18' double garage, this will be gone soon as i am retiring. The garage is a standard slab-wall Compton IIRC, the roof was replaced with PVC coated steel profile and kingspan insulation, over the years i have kept all damp off the machinery simply by having a little oil-filled rad left on in the winter on a low setting.

The walls are still bare slab, the floor is bare concrete.

Its big enough physically to get a full UK spec pool table in, we like playing pool so it would make use of an otherwise wasted space, maybe hang a dartboard too.

I was thinking to batten the floor, overlay with marine ply then carpet tile or carpet.

Would that work ok or is there a better way to treat the floor - I wouldn't want to loose much headroom. It shows no sign of damp.

The walls i was thinking of just giving a fresh coat of paint.

Any ideas here :)

Sponsored Links
Marine ply ott, layer of insulation board and float t&g chipboard floor on top Would be my choice .

most garage floors will tend to have a slope on them that you may not notice but will on a pool table so check for level as that could loose you perhaps 60- 100mm in height at the front when levelled

most garage floors will tend to have a slope on them that you may not notice but will on a pool table so check for level as that could loose you perhaps 60- 100mm in height at the front when levelled
Last pool table I set up had 150mm of adjustment on the legs.

Sponsored Links

Thanks,
this one is flat, i'm not sure it was ever built as a garage, more of a workshop, it was there when we moved in but has very limited access to the front of house/road

Marine ply ott, layer of insulation board and float t&g chipboard floor on top Would be my choice .

Hmm, is there a thinner option maybe?

My issue is that if we go too high on the floor, my head will be hitting the steel roof trusses - i'm 6'1" :)

Need to rise as little as possible i think

Hmm, is there a thinner option maybe?

My issue is that if we go too high on the floor, my head will be hitting the steel roof trusses - i'm 6'1" :)

Need to rise as little as possible i think
Thinner than your option? 22mm t&g + as little as 25mm insulation, whatever you can accommodate ?

Ok, thanks, will have a measure up :)

Does the insulation need a membrane under of can it go straight onto concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back