Filling large gap under skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you may be aware from previous posts I'm putting new skirting on. All has gone well apart from one long piece where the skirting is a little warped and it bent up from the floor slightly. In the middle this gap is perhaps 15mm and approx 2 metres long.

I've filled the large gap by gluing wooden battens underneath it, so that whatever filler I use will have something to stick to.

My question - what should I use to fill this and get a decent finish on it.
I'm not sure decorators caulk will be able to give a smooth finish on a gap 15mm high, and its a lot of sanding for wood filler (which I dont want to do if I can avoid as the skirting is only glued on) .

Is there a product which is easy to apply flat in a neat way? The depth is not so much of an issue now I have glued support battons, its more that I need a 15mm high thin layer of filler or something.

Hope this all makes sense?

Sponsored Links
How did you fitted the skirting board? Cut nails or screws etc?

No mechanical fixings, it glued in place. Was so busy checking it was pressed and held against the wall, and it had some furnituiture in front of it so I couldn't see from the front, that I didn't realise I had a gap.

Removing it isn't an option if that is your question.

Sponsored Links
Various reasons - check my other posts.

In the end I got some ronseal deep gap filler which still needs sanding but seems to have done the trick. Was pretty horrible stuff to use though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back