Filling large gaps between wall & floor under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main reason for wanting to fill these gaps is because I believe kitchen smells (my wife likes to cook a lot of fish) are coming through these gaps.
Not sure how exactly since the kitchen ceiling seems to be sealed especially around the pipes going up. Maybe through micro gaps from the downlights?

I thought I'd bow to your wisdom first before I go ahead with my limited imagination of ideas. Initially I was simply going to use expanding foam but some gaps seem quite wide so I thought I'd stick as much boarding as I can first with grab adhesive, then use expanding foam to fill any tiny gaps.

IMG_20220627_083511.jpgIMG_20220627_082315.jpgIMG_20220627_082327.jpg

The main issue though is that it's bloody awkward to reach even at end of the bath because as you can see there's a vanity unit next to the bath. I don't think I can even use a sealant gun to reach most areas that require the grab adhesive to stick down any boarding or strips along the bath. Also I need to find the right size of tubing to fit my expanding foam gun as I can't reach those areas either without it. Hopefully I can just about to mange to give the floor boards a bit sanding and wipe it clean before sticking down the boarding.

Is there a better way of achieving my goal? Perhaps I can push sponge strips into the gaps with a a rod but would that stop the smell?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Dunno about smell, never had the problem!.
For tube extensions onto your foam gun though, visit a fishtank or car accessory shop.
I prefer fireproof foam for things like that, with an adjustable metal gun. Mine has a nipple onthe end to shove extra tube on.
ANy foam will fill inches, maybe in a couple of layers, so I see no need to use wood.

Sponsored Links
If smells are entering the bathroom very likely they simply drift in thru window or vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back