How do I fill gap beneath plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with loads of slugs and occasional rats coming in under our kitchen cupboards. Removed the kickboard to investigate and it's a bit of a mess with a large gap beneath the plaster and floor, so this must be where pests are coming in. Wondering how best to fill the gap. Was going to put boards across, but plaster is too lumpy so boards won't sit flat against the wall. Would expanding foam be suitable? Any advice appreciated. Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220827_120419.jpg
    20220827_120419.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Foam will not stop rats, wire wool wedged in firmly might be worth trying. If you can get it in stainless even better as it will not rust.

Rats, in general, will not chew through wire wool because it cuts their nose. I use wire wool and then expanding foam to stop insects.

When working with expanding foam, be advised that the propellant is flammable. If you are using a lot, it can hang around for quite a while, open doors and windows. I would also recommend that you spend a fiver on a tin of "foam gun cleaner" in case you need to remove any errors.

Most tins of expanding foam require the can to be used upside down. Under kitchen units, that isn't always possible. You can by cans that work at any angle but they are slightly more expensive.

Sponsored Links
The stainless wire wool if really cheap and comes from china it will rust, on ebay a seller sells real stainless for exhaust back box filling, works a treat to stop mice getting in through small gaps in the cladding.
Gloves essential, can tease it apart to a reasonable size and then cut with scissors.

Start by curing the leak or other source of damp. There should not be slugs under your floor. They eat the contents of drains.

Rats need constant access to water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back