Filling loop- but not with flexi hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for the filling loop to be fitted with two isolating valves (as below) or should it be with a flexi hose? My previous experiences of combi boilers has been the filling loop has been a flexi hose, but my recent boiler install has two isolating valves just fixed to the copper piping. Should I get these valves changed?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-isolating-valve-15mm/18796

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter what its connected with, but it should be disconnected if you are not topping up, especially with those valves (no non return). Flexi's are used for ease. Just disconnect copper pipe and get two cap ends/blanks to stop any leaks.

Should be removable and able to re-attach without tools, those need a spanner.
Was your installer Gas Safe registered?
Although it will work fine (most filling loops get left in place anyway) it ain't right for a new install, you could find somebody who is keen picks it up at a later date.
I would get it changed now to avoid any fuss later.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The installer was definitely Gas Safe, I checked his details online and it all checked out.

I'll see abut disconnecting the copper pipe and blank it of for the time being. I imagine these will do the job: http://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-blanking-nut-15mm/55441. Should I use a Gas Safe engineer to fit a flexi hose or can I do it myself? Seems to me I would just need to turn off the boiler, turn off water at the mains, drain the system, replace the isolating valves with the valves that come with the flexi, blank them off and then keep the flexi hose handy for topping up.

Sponsored Links
That link doesnt show anything up here.

Can do it your self, the filling loop has nothing to do with being gas safe.

Turn off water, open a the lowest tap in the house to take off pressure, remove the filling loop that you have and just hold a bucket under the heating valve, then slowly open it, let the water drain from the system there and once it slows down pop the current valve off quickly and replace it, with a bit of luck you wont have actuaully emptyed any of the heating system and will just need to pressure it back up with new filling loop. (best turn boiler off first before emptying)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back