Toilet flexi valve-isolation and service valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my toilet has a flexi pipe, then a service or isolating valve on it, sorry I don't know the difference.

What is the difference between a service and isolating valve and are both required on water feeds in the kitchen and bathroom.

My kitchen, basin and bathtub have 15mm isolation valves attached to the flexi hose pipes and I am thinking do I also need service valves?

Any information would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
Isolation valve is fitted in the supply line to and appliance and usually has a compression connector at each end. A service valve is fitted directly to the appliance itself and has one compression end and a tap union fitting at the other. The service valve is like a service valve and tap connector combined.
Service valves tends to be smaller bore whilst isolation valves can be full (larger) bore.

Thank you for the reply, so is it good practice to have both types of valves fitted on a basin and kitchen copper pipes or does having one of them suffice.

The valve on the toilet flexi looks like this Full Bore Isolating Valve CP 15mm (toolstation.com)
The ones under the kitchen sink and basin are thinner and look similar to Straight Service Valve 15mm x ½" | Service Valves | Screwfix.com.

Is having full bore isolations valves better as I have high water pressure in the flat, the current isolation valves are not full bore as far as I am aware. Maybe getting full bore ones would be better for high water pressure any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the reply, so is it good practice to have both types of valves fitted on a basin and kitchen copper pipes or does having one of them suffice.

I believe I have isolation valves but there is no compression connector so maybe they are service valves, how can I tell the difference?
There is no point in having both and if you are happy with the flow of water through the taps then there is no need to change anything. That said you could always post a photo to be advised on what you do have.

Thank you for the replies, I am changing the basin tap as the current one doesn't have a balanced flow, the temperature goes up and down, it's either too hot or cool.

I bought a high pressure tap and that is why I have been thinking about the full bore service valves.

Also does the rising main water temperature change in summer and winter, therefore the reason in changing the DHW temperature in various seasons?

Pics Basin and kitchen have the same type of valves

Attachments

• Basin pipe.jpg
    Basin pipe.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Basin pipes.jpg
    Basin pipes.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 117
  • WIN_20210228_13_08_18_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210228_13_08_18_Pro.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 109
  • WIN_20210228_13_08_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210228_13_08_34_Pro.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 102
  • WIN_20210228_13_10_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210228_13_10_55_Pro.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, I am changing the basin tap as the current one doesn't have a balanced flow, the temperature goes up and down, it's either too hot or cool.

I bought a high pressure tap and that is why I have been thinking about the full bore service valves.

Also does the rising main water temperature change in summer and winter, therefore the reason in changing the DHW temperature in various seasons?

Pics Basin and kitchen have the same type of valves
Do you have high water pressure to suit the new tap? Is it a mixer tap and the temperature rising and falling may not be cured by the tap alone.

It's a high water pressure mixer tap. What would help with the rising and falling of temperature?

The other taps are single lever round taps where as the basin tap is a rectangle fountain mixer tap (creates quite a mess when running, no aerator), when the tap runs one side of the water is cold and the other hot is that normal?

Last edited:
Cold mains water can swing anywhere up to 10Deg from summer to winter, the hot water will follow suit, up to the setting on the boiler/cylinder. Nothing you can do to change that really.

You have standard isolation valves (ISO), not service valves or full bore. As suggested it all comes down to how good your current hot and cold water pressure is whether changing the valves would make much difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back