filling loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to top up my combi boiler but the filling loop won't open.

Have tried using pliers and it turns but no water goes through

Is this easy to replace without flooding the house?

How do I go about this?

Sponsored Links
Depending on where your filling loop is, you will more than likely need to drain, or partially drain your heating system. Once this is done, turn off the mains feed to your house, make sure the loop is in the closed position, open the lowest cold mains tap to drain the cold water down, and carefully remove the loop. If some water comes out (and it more than likely will) try and get a container to catch the water in. Then fit your new loop ( there are a couple of variants, try and get one to match your original), making sure its fitted the correct way round ( there should be an arrow marking ). Then refill your system. The instructions I've issued are bearing in mind that you know how to drain your heating system properly, and refill it as well. Don't forget to add some inhibitor while you have the system drained, adding it when you refill. Hope this helps you. If you are still not confident in doing this, find someone who is :D

Just a thought! Is it a filling loop with two shut off valves as some of them are, and you're only opening one of them?

Sponsored Links
The OP said that he tried opening the valve, so it might not be just the isolator, may be the non return valve sticking as well. If the OP is going to be dismantling a part of the CH system, it may be advisable, unless he/she wants water spillage, to drain, or partially drain the system. If they called a plumber in, the plumber could probably solve the issue in next to no time. As it sounds like the OP is a DIYer then perhaps its better drain the system to save any mess, then have a look at the whole loop :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back