Filling the hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I thought it was time to get round to repainting the garage door. There was a little patch of rot left to me by the previous owners, so I thought just pick out the loose stuff, bit of wood filler, job done.

But the firm wood was further away than I'd thought and ended up with this
IMG_20210717_104148240 (Medium).jpg

Height 50mm, full length about 800mm, depth, about 50mm at it's worst. Chopping out the worst part and replacing is not an option. The full depth of the timber is at least 100mm. It's not load bearing, it's just panelling replacing where a window would have been.

First thought was to cut away the nails, even out the hole with a series of steps in depth; 50, 40, 20, 10. Then make a matching piece and glue/pin it in place. It would be perfect but take some time and a bit of fiddling.

Next thought was to even out to 10mm, make up a fillet 800 x 50 x 10, fill the void with expanding foam, cover the hole. Same cosmetic result, less hassle.

How would you repair it?

Sponsored Links
Cut all rotted wood.

Stabilise with penetrating epoxy sealer.

Add new wood in with sticks all.

Fill the left over 5mm gaps.

Pull off all the trim , sheet over with UVPC .Add a drip bar to prevent the rest rotting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back