Find incoming water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wanting to find out where my main incoming water pipe is so that I could install an electric / magnetic water softeners for the entire home's water supply.

As far as my plumbing is concerned,

- I have a gas boiler in my kitchen.
- I have a water tank in my loft.
- I have a electric hot water tank in a room upstairs.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what a stopcock looks like? If not, then google images will give you an idea of what you're looking for somewhere downstairs (kitchn, toilet, understairs cupboard???)

Some places to look would be.

Under kitchen sink

By front door under a floorboard or in a boxing in

Under the stairs

Any boxing in, extending from down stairs to up would be a possibility.

You could try looking in the loft and then tracing it back

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick response. I have found 2 of those in the downstairs WC. View media item 51279 View media item 51280
Is this the place from where the entire house's water supply is being supplied?

If this is it, can anybody advise me what are my options for installing hard water removal solutions for the entire house?

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a wooden floor with joists.

If so, you could fit the water softener in a suitable location and run the pipes as needed

electric/magnetic water softeners are not exactly proven science, I personally wouldent waste my money, if you want soft water invest in a proper water softner.

I miss read the post again, I thought he meant a water softener.

I fit electro magnetic scale reducers, they are not softeners, they are meant to alter the particles so that the scale passes through without sticking.

They don't soften the water though

No proof it works though

Hi,

Thanks for so many responses. I don't have a wooden floor in the WC (it is covered by tiles).

I guess what my question should have been, "Based upon where my incoming water pipe is located, what is the best course of action to take to get soft water (salt / chemical / electric etc.) and how / what product to use?"

Thanks again.

Op, do you want soft water to drink or for the whole house? If the latter, then do you suffer from excessive scale?

Thanks. I want soft water for the entire house, so I don't need to worry individually about washing machine, boiler etc.

Best regards,

You should have a tap of unsoftened water for drinking, also the outside tap and supply to the boiler should also be unsoftened if your using it to fill your rads, if you have a combi boiler you can run softened water for the hot supply, if your not sure get a plumber in.

The only effective way of softening water is ion exchange. Magnetic or electrical fields are, as politely noted above, unproven science. In proper plumbers' language a load of ballcocks.
Have your plumber fit a proper unit : he will of course leave you an unsoftened cold supply to kitchen tap and central heating header/fill point.

Hi there,

Many thanks for that. Sorry to keep asking stupid questions but why do I need unsoftened water supply to kitchen tap? Is it harmful to drink softened water? I don't like limescale building up in my hot water bottle or iron so would ideally like to have softened water in the kitchen as well.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back