Find it difficult to wash certain walls - Contract Matt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always use wall sander and then wash with sugar soap using microfibre mop.

However I've found this apartment I'm doing to be extremely difficult to wash. The mop simply doesn't glide on the wall as easily I'm used to, even though I've sprayed the wall wet with trigger spray.

Only one wall is easy to wash (painted pink by previous owner / tenant). The rest of the walls (Magnolia) are all difficult to wash.

After some searching, I understand it's because the Magnolia walls are contract matt, while the pink wall is Vinyl emulsion. Apartment is around 10 years old, so the Magnolia walls must have never been painted since.

Now the question, how do I make it easier to wash the walls painted with contract matt? I still have lots of big walls and ceiling left - I need to remove the dust from sanding, and there is plenty of it.

Alternatively to washing the walls, would vacuum the walls using my wet/dry vacuum do a good job of removing the dusty?

Sponsored Links
Whilst contract matt is excellent, and the recommended paint for new plaster, it can be used as a finish coat in some circumstances but really doesn't lend itself to being cleaned. Basically, when it gets dirty/marked, your only real option is to touch up or repaint. It will accept any type of emulsion you wish to use on it so, if you have an area that requires regular cleaning, your best bet for a finish coat would be a washable vinyl matt/silk or acrylic eggshell.

Contract matt is only recommended for new plaster if it is to be the final coat. Read the manufacturers instructions.

Sponsored Links
There is little if no Vinyl in contract emulsion which makes it great for obliterating walls, but has no protection to be wiped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back