Wallpapering over matt emulsion paint: wall preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm an absolutely novice decorator so I'd be grateful for any help!

I'm trying to add a featured wall of wallpaper in each bedroom of our house. Each room is currently painted with matt emulsion and I am not at all sure how to prepare the wall for papering. I've read different instructions, everything from removing the paint from the wall to just washing it down.

The view I've formed is that we need to wash down the wall until paint stops coming off on the sponge (using sugar-soap solution for this) and if that's back to the plaster paint then so be it. Do we need to do anything else to the wall before then papering? (I understand about wall size I think).

The paper is heavy duty vinyl so it needs to be well stuck!

If anyone can shed some light on this subject, we'd be really grateful!

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Providing the paint work is no way contaminated just size with a thinned wallpaper paste, some papers both benefit and require cross lining, so check the instuctions. As for paste use Solvite.

Dec

Just wipe down the wall with water to remove any contamination and then as suggested apply a coat of watered down paste.

I normally use ready mixed paste for heavier papers or feature walls. Solvite have a few different ranges that apply to different wall coverings. Slightly more expensive but makes the job easier.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Ready mixed adhesives can tend to be a little unforgiving regarding slide, and something that you should bear in mind.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back