Painting matt emulsion over vinyl silk, and crazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a lot of information on this forum, but now I'm a bit confused, so I thought it best to explain my exact issues.

1) Crazing problem - solution needed

I decided to redocorate my house, as I'm moving back in after renting it out for a few years. On Saturday, I discovered that sometime within the last 18 months my tenants repainted the 2nd bedroom with Paradise Blue Dulux Bathroom paint (thanks a bunch!). On Sunday, after asking a builder what to do, the walls were sanded to create a key for the new paint to stick to. On Monday, the loose particles were brushed off, and the walls washed with sugar soap, then washed again with fresh water. Today (Tuesday), two coats of Pure Brilliant White Dulux Rich Matt emulsion were applied (to cover the blue - approx 2 hours between coats). After the second coat was applied, hairline cracks (crazing) appeared over most of the walls. What is the best way to fix this? I'm not keen on sanding it back again, and I think the same problem may occur. Is basecoat the way to go? Or will this cause problems down the line? I ultimately want to paint a pale colour over the white, and want more of a matt finish than vinyl silk, but not sure if matt emulsion will take, given my situation. Would a low sheen be a better option?

2) Preparation and paint selection advice

The remaining areas of the house that I want to redocorate currently have vinyl silk on the walls (I think all Dulux). Again, I want more of a matt finish than this, but given the crazing issues I've had in bedroom 2, I'm not sure matt emulsion will take - although normal vinyl silk has less vinyl than the bathroom paint - so maybe a low sheen would be better? How should I prep the walls? Or can I paint matt emulsion / low sheen directly on them? The vinyl silk was applied approx 10 years ago. I've already bought a pot of Laura Ashley matt paint for bedroom 1, so ideally I'd like to use that.

Advice would be much appreciated.[/b]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back