Find my leak

Sponsored Links
As Gasservice says, not a good idea to keep adding water to your system. It's good practice, and a requirement from boiler manufacturers, that there should be corrosion inhibitor to the correct concentration in the system. Continually losing water and topping up will mean that the inhibitor is being lost, and continually diluted.

Found the pipes in the loft but lost track of them under the insulation so will look again during the week.

They go into flexi hose the trail across the loft.

Forgot to mention, all rads are full of air generally and I bleed them very often - assume that's a given if the pressure is dropping though.
Letting air out will also cause the pressure to drop, like letting air out of a tyre.

Sponsored Links
Besides the PRV, it could be;

a leak into the (vented?) HW cylinder;
a leak under the ground floor;
a leak from the boiler heat exchanger, with the water going into the condensate drain.

Made a little progress this weekend with the use of a heating engineer.

Traced the pipe from the back of the pressure vessel and it loops into the overflow from the tank in the loft.

He was checking some other pipework and said a ball valve was stuck plus some other issues with the routing of pipework.

He’s recommended the PRV is replaced, as that’s the most logical thing if the re-routing of pipes hasn’t fixed the issue.

So, the PRV got replaced and all has been fine until recently (probably around the time the heating has been back on).

Again, no sign of any leak on walls, floors or ceilings but pressure is dropping over a couple of days.

The heating is very patchy and seems to drop to nothing then heat up again.

I'm limited in knowledge on heating systems but something definitely seems to be wrong.

I should have added I've just had a ground floor WC room refurbed so not sure if that has anything to do with the pressure dropping - no radiator in there but the hot water pipes were replaced.

Was the expansion vessel checked when the new prv was installed? If the system was ok until the heating was put on as you say. The ev may be faulty or probably just needs pumping up

Hello,

The PRV was replaced a few months ago so I don't remember if that was checked - the guy that did the work is pretty good so I'm sure it would have been.

How can I check?

De pressurise the heating system and check the expansion vessel pressure with a tyre pressure gauge.

Seems like a job for another evening :eek:

Thanks, I'll have a look through.

Also seem to have a problem with the three port valve still - I can't quite work out the issue but the heating seems "weak" when the hot water is being heated. When the hot water goes off the heating picks up.

Unfortunately I played with the switch on the 3PV at the same time I killed the hot water so I'll have to test it again.

Also seem to have a problem with the three port valve still - I can't quite work out the issue but the heating seems "weak" when the hot water is being heated. When the hot water goes off the heating picks up.

That's a balancing issue.

Have a look to see if you have a gate valve on the flow or return pipe to the cylinder. This is used to restrict the water to the cylinder, to stop the heating being 'starved' when both hotwater and heating are on

Unfortunately I played with the switch on the 3PV at the same time I killed the hot water so I'll have to test it again.

That doesnt sound good! You may have goosed your valve. That switch/lever should only be moved when the power is isolated to the system ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back