Find my leak

I'm not suggesting you're wrong but I've never heard they may be an issue before - I had some issues with this before and it always seemed to get things going. I'll avoid it in future!

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the points you mentioned over the next few days.

Sponsored Links
I still can't figure this out and have dropping pressure but no evidence of leaks.

I've got the plumber back on Saturday to check the work he did in the summer.

Engineer was over yesterday and we couldn't find any problems with pipework anywhere.

He's suggested I disconnect the pipe that goes from the PRV into the loft and loops back to see if any water is passing by putting a bucket under it. This was just to rule that out as an issue because we disconnected and the inside of the pipe was bone dry.

Any other ideas? Pressure is dropping pretty rapidly and still no evidence of any leaks.

That is possibly because you do not do what is advised but tend to assume things have been checked

Get the expansion vessle checked, and pressurised to 1.5 bar

Vent the whole system, with heating off

repressure to 1 bar , star the heating, keep an eye on the pressure gauge,

then report back with your findings

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit of a generalisation there - unless I've missed something everything I was told to check got checked.

The only thing I haven't done is de-pressurise the EV although the guy I had over ruled that out.

I'll try and do that but seems a bit beyond my skill and tools.

Water when heated expands so where does the extra volume go?
It goes into the expansion vessel unless something is stopping it.
The expansion vessel has a rubber diaphragm running down or across the middle. When purchased one side is inflated to about 1 bar pressure so when fitted the vessel is full of air which equals the volume of the vessel.
After fitting the vessel, the water side is filled with water using the flexible filling loop until the water pressure also equals 1 bar pressure.
So with the pressure being equal, the diaphragm does not move, but when expansion takes place volume of water goes up and the volume of air goes down because it's being compressed and causes an increase in pressure on both water and air.
The pressure rise is only about 1 bar when the heating is on, that is providing the EV was full with air before expansion took place.

If the valve on the vessel leaks like it does sometimes on a tyre, the volume of air gets reduced while the volume of water in vessel increases.
This results in a much smaller amount of air being compressed and the pressure would increase sufficient to burst pipes, so the PRV set to 3 bar stops this from happening.
What may have happened is:
Air leaks from EV
Water pressure eventually reaches 3 bar
PRV opens
Pressure drops to 0.5 bar
PRV closes
Pressure is reset to 1 bar and the same thing happens.
After curing the problem with EV, the 3 bar pressure is not reached
But pressure is still lost but over a longer period of time.
This is most likely because the PRV has not seated due to sediment on the valve sealing face.
If hot water is leaking from the discharge pipe, it may well have evaparated before it reaches the out let, so you dont see it.
There is also the possablity of the diaphragm being split, or the pipe from EV to system being blocked.
Other leaks can't be ruled out but many problems seem to be expansion vessel related.

Yes you have missed something again !!!!!!!!!

Nobody asked or advised you to depressurise the expansion vessel.

Do as told and get it checked out,

Not by your plumber friend.

But by a Heating Engineer

I'm none the wiser on what's needed different to what I've done/got checked. It's beyond my level of understanding of heating systems.

Might be best if you save your time as you seem to be getting flustered by my inability to read. Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back