Finders - with drill bit sets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new box set of drill bits and driving bits. In it there are a couple of rounds plastic bits called finders? They are common with most of these type of box sets. What are they and how do I use them?

Sponsored Links
New to me, but according to this they are devices for locating a bit in a slotted screw head.

I'm inclined to agree that this sounds like something one can do without.

Thanks. Agreed, pretty redundant although I can see where the original need for it came from.

Sometimes slotted screws can be a pain in awkward or tight corners with a cordless driver.

Slotted screws should be outlawed! They just look nasty too :LOL:

Sponsored Links
They also hold the screw while you start to screw it in.
I have several but never used them.

Slotted screws are dangerous when using a Electric driver, but IMO much better when using a hand screwdriver & needing a good "thrutching" !

That said as I'm now officially lazy & use the electric driver, I only ever use cross head unless on a door.

once painted a few times, cross head or posi are almost impossible to remove.

never have this problem with slotted. ;)

no good for the cordless driver though.

ho hum. :rolleyes:

Last year I had to remove a large number of slotted screws from a ceiling. The only sensible way to go about it was with a cordless driver, but it was a messy business. To make things worse, the heads were very hard (and brittle) so I had quite a few broken screws which had to be removed with pliers. Maybe a screwfinder would have come in handy for this job, if I'd known they existed.

I would still use slotted screws where they're going to be on display when the job's finished, installed with a screwdriver of course, and driven home so that the slots are aligned.

I also like to use slotted screws in a location where they're liable to get very dirty, or clogged with paint, and I might need to remove them later, for the reasons Noseall gives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back