Finding leak on soil stack

B

Bodd

Hello All

I have a new install soil stack that is falling a drop test. its small but its there.

manufacture is Marley DB Blue push fit.

how can I find a small leak.

Anyone ???

Bod

Sponsored Links
Smoke test it. Once the smoke is in there, seal the pipe again as for an air test, perform the air test and see where you get smoke escaping.

Sponsored Links
Smoke test it. Once the smoke is in there, seal the pipe again as for an air test, perform the air test and see where you get smoke escaping.

Thanks Hugh.

I think it is all sorted now but thank you for th advice

John

Thanks Hugh.

I think it is all sorted now but thank you for th advice

John

Glad you got sorted mate......👍

For other readers; if you have small leak in a soil vent stack, plug all open ends apart from the very top & fill with water. This is always best done on short sections & utilise balloons.
For standard single stack SVPs most fittings & leaks will nearly always be found below 'spill over' level.
HTH

I was on a job once, converting a large Victorian house into a care home for the elderly, large extension on the back, and the grounds and an adjacent site that had been cleared were filled with flats for sheltered housing. All the bedroom in the main house were en suite, so a fair few stacks needed.

One in particular was failing an air test by a country mile. Plumbers were blaming the drain, the groundworkers were blaming the plumbers. To settle the issue it was decided to do a water test. That failed dismally too, but still there was no apparent leak, even when the drain was dug back out and exposed.

With the Agent getting rather irate, and the B.C.O. due on site to look at it, drastic action was needed. A plan was hatched, and that afternoon with the Agent and B.C.O. watching, the troublesome stack passed a water test with flying colours.... Good job they didn't look up, had they have done so, they may have seen someone on the roof, hiding behind a chimney stack, holding a hosepipe in the top of the vent pipe..... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back