Finding out existing foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Is there a way to find out what existing foundations we have on our home other than digging up and looking?

Our house is 25 years old and were looking to extend, single storey, but living in a clay area the foundations might be pile and beam and the local Building Control have indicated that if this is the case the extention would need the same.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Unless you have some old record drawings then No you'll need to get your spade out. Even then old drawings cannot always be trusted. Not unusual to have to do this when adding a storey.

Sponsored Links
Get the shovel out.

Really? Thanks for that constructive comment. I had no idea a Shovel could be used to find out such things. You really are a star. Thanks again for that useful advice.

freddymercurystwin, thanks for the advice. I've actually gone round and asked some Neighbours who have had extensions done and none of them have had pile and beam foundations, so hopefully ours won't have either.

I've actually gone round and asked some Neighbours who have had extensions done and none of them have had pile and beam foundations, so hopefully ours won't have either.
Regardless, B.C. will still ask for trial pits to be dug either by a shovel, spade or mechanical digger.

There is no " the neighbours is ok so ours will be too, eh?", rule in building controls' book.

Yea what noseybonk said. He doesn't know anything anyway, I heard he uses an axe to trim doors down! :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back