Finding the right tile cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i've had a plasplugs wet tile cutter for years which has been great. BUT it's a long drawn out process when all you need is a quick, straight cut.
So i bought a manual tungsten carbide tipped cutter from Wickes for £38.
I was trying to cut Wickes tiles, but it broke each tile i tried.
Took it back, the guy there couldn't really get it to work for me either so i got a refund.
Now....i'm only trying to cut off a 16mm slither from the long edge of a 190x90mm kitchen wall tile. Should a half decent tile cutter be able to achieve this or is it too narrow a piece for even the best cutters?

If this should be achievable then can someone advise on a decent DIY cutter please, if one exists.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I posted a very similar request for advice and no response given yet. I hope someone will post an answer soon

A 16mm tile sliver is rather narrow for all but the very best manual cutters to achieve, even then it can be hit & miss depending on the type of tiles. You need a wet tile cutter.

A 16mm tile sliver is rather narrow for all but the very best manual cutters to achieve, even then it can be hit & miss depending on the type of tiles. You need a wet tile cutter.

Aarrr crap! really?
Jesus, that gonna take me a while.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, its just the hassle of getting it out filling it with water, cutting, getting messy, then cleaning up again.
CBA....really hoped that a manual one would work for me.

Dang!

Yeah, its just the hassle of getting it out filling it with water, cutting, getting messy, then cleaning up again.
Welcome to the world of tiling. Horses for courses & using a wet cutter will usually always be required on any job at some stage. It’s hardly a lot of hassle & even the very best manual cutter won’t do it all.

Are you saying you already have a wet cutter?

Welcome to the world of tiling. Horses for courses & using a wet cutter will usually always be required on any job at some stage. It’s hardly a lot of hassle & even the very best manual cutter won’t do it all.

Are you saying you already have a wet cutter?

Yes, i do have a wet cutter. Guess i'll have to dig that out then....baah!

Thanks for the advice

The cheapest and least messy option would be to get yourself one of those tile scoring tools for like £5, and with a straight edge score the tile and then use some nippers which are like £7 to break the tile along the score line.

Same thing when using a dry tile cutter, with cuts like those, it's best to score and snap with nippers rather than use the built in tiler breaker

Yes I agree - it's the tile snapper that breaks the tile wrong. A pair of tile pincers is often handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back