finished size of T&G?

While I await the outcome of the T&G issue I really do want to be able to use my workshop so need to do something to the floor to cover the holes in it where the knots have fallen out.
I visited the local woodyard and they had some 12mm shuttering ply that was really good stuff, no knots or filler, I pllaced an order stating I wanted that batch, they agreed.
It arrived today and I sent it straight back on the truck it came on, all knots and splits.
The driver said he delivered a load yesterday and the customer was well pleased with his, no knots....he got mine!

They have offered me a refund or 2400 x 600 x 18mm P5 grade moisture resisitant Tongued and Grooved Chipboard Flooring instead for slightly less money.
As this will be an overfloor job and its moisture resisitant is there any reason why I shouldnt use this in my workshop? It will be loose laid for now in case I have to show the original floor to anyone.

Sponsored Links
what purpose are you putting your workshop to and what spacings are your floor timbers!!!!

my shed is 24" centres on 18mm ply and is rock solid
i would suggest you would be fine with 9 or 12mm exterior ply better than txg flooring in my opinion
you can also use sterling board but the crisp clean smooth solid feel of the ext ply underfoot is great

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop010.jpg

I was trying to keep the cost down to around £100 so ext ply was well above my budget. Thats why the shuttering ply was such a good deal had it come off.

The original floor is 16mm t&g on 3x2 at alternating 600mm and 390mm centers. Its laid on a very sturdy 4x2 raised frame.
View media item 9776The new floor will overlay this. The reasons for reflooring are the knot holes and spring of the original floorboarding.

The workshop will have items such as my Myford lathe, plasma cutter, mig welder etc so nothing really heavy.

Sponsored Links
On price the choice is narrowed down to the flooring grade t&g chipboard or 6mm ext ply.

I think if I both glue and screw the 6mm ply down I will get both strength and no flex and have a nice ply suface.

i personaly would be so so reluctant to use 6mm as an economy measure i would rather board 2/3 and leave the edge/end with least use/load till money became avalable

the amount you are trying to save is less than 5% off the total project

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back