Finished skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some finished skirting board from wickes... fitted and and looks good but just trying to give it a light coat because of a couple of marks but it just wont take because of the finish, tied gloss, acrylic,satin finish... is there a special paint for this??? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Ok, according to the Wickes site it is colour matched to Wickes Quick Dry Satin Brilliant White Paint.

When you say it won't take the finish, do you mean that after applying paint you can still see the brown MDF grinning through?

If yes that is normal.

I can paint raw MDF with waterbased primer and follow that up with two coats of white oil based eggshell. If it gets scratched/sanded back/whatever it takes more than three coats of paint to mask it.

As a decorator, I hate having to paint pre-primed/finished MDF once it has been fitted and sanded by the carpenter. I would much rather paint it from scratch.

If the remedial work is fairly light, I'd go for two coats of oil based undercoat to obliterate the dark MDF colour, and then follow that up with the Wickes paint.

There is a caveat though, where you touch it up with the satinwood, you may have a slight halo effect around the bits that you have touched in (ie, a slightly different sheen level). There are very few paints that can be touched up without the halo effect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks opps.... it ended up being in small patches it would not take .... must be the coat on it when it left the manufacturer ... quick sand down and now perfect ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back