Finishing a wall that is prone to cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall that has a weak joint in it between brick and blockwork from the original construction. I believe this will be prone to continuous cracking. I am finishing the room and was planning on just skimming the wall but worried this will crack for ever more.

I would rather not overboard the wall if it can be avoided but it is an option. Is there any form of mesh or other method that can be plastered in to prevent cracking?

Sponsored Links
scrim tape the cracks and any other areas that may crack , like over and around the door or window .
you can buy a 4” wide scrim tape and do the whole wall if you wanted to. that would cure it.
plasprime the whole wall ,over the scrim tape and skim.

7D5E88E7-EFAB-47B9-9291-18253D8D40BF.png

Sponsored Links
watery pva the wall the day before sticking the scrim on .

Without pics or more details its hard to advise you.
This might help but no guarantees.

A basic crack repair for a significant wall crack is to hack off plaster back to brick and block for about 300mm on each side of the crack - then using clout nails nail a single piece of expanded metal mesh to the open beds and perps. Nail the edges and the centre.
Then take up suction and plaster over and skim as usual.

Metal mesh used in plastering or rendering can come in wide rolls or single sheets - tell the supplier what its for and the dimensions needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back