Finishing hardwood strip flooring (in good condition)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We lifted the (horrible!) carpets in our hall recently and were pleasantly surprised to find hardwood (I think) strip flooring under them which seems in good condition. The boards are quite dark and have a smooth finish to them. They have a reddish tinge to them so I was wondering if they were mahogany (not sure how likely this is in a 1950s semi though).
It seems a shame to sand and varnish them as they already look nice but I do want to protect them from being damaged. Can anyone suggest what the best method to finish them would be? I have looked through past posts and see "Hardwaxoil" recommended quite a lot - would this be suitable?
Thanks for your help,
Claire

Sponsored Links
Claire42 said:
It seems a shame to sand and varnish them as they already look nice but I do want to protect them from being damaged. Can anyone suggest what the best method to finish them would be? I have looked through past posts and see "Hardwaxoil" recommended quite a lot - would this be suitable?
Thanks for your help,
Claire

HardWaxOil can only be used on sanded - unfinished floors. I think what you need is a proper maintenance product to 'freshen' it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back