Finishing internal doors - white wax patches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to work out where I went wrong, I used sanding sealer followed by clear briwax on our new internal oak doors.

The wax was applied and allowed to dry ready for buffing as in the instructions, but there are a lot of white patches where it has gathered too much, particularly around the beading etc. I've spent quite a while scraping what I can out of corners etc but wonder how to improve it.

I'm wondering if gently heating the wax with a hair dryer to soften it whilst buffing will help me?

Also, I have 1 more door to do when it's hung and don't want to go through the same again so how do I avoid it?

TIA

Sponsored Links
some thoughts;sanding sealer too thick, one thin coat is enough or lumps of soft wax in mouldings try buffing up the moulding's with a brush just like buffing up a pair of shoes .

Thanks, the shop I got everything from (doors, sealer and wax) told me they usually put 2 coats of sealer on which is what I did.

Is any soft cloth ok for buffing, or are there better types like microfibre?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back