Primed internal door finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased x3 internal doors which are pre-finished in white. The manufacturers state that the doors are supplied with a factory 2 coat PU white prime finish. It says whilst the level of finish is very high we recommend that a further top coat be applied to ensure all cut outs and trimmed areas are sealed when hung.

I have the same doors previously purchased from the same company and they are finished to the high Level stated above. I was happy with this finish and had no intentions of adding a top coat of paint to the doors

Two of the new doors Have flaws.

The manufacturer and door company that we purchased them from have refused to swap them stating that they are not faulty and it should be expected that you would have to sand them down.

Am I being unreasonable or are they?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The finish is stated as "primed". In the trade that indicates that you are expected to apply a finish coat because the doors are unfinished- supplied as "pre-finished" doors tend to cost quite a bit more. If the flaws are in the finish, then unless they are very major (e.g. areas of no primer, dents, deep scratche, etc) then they are probably right to say it's not their problem. If the issue i with flaws in solid wood edges, cacking, separation/delamination, etc the it is in their area. A coiuple of pics would help, though.

Hi JobAndKnock
Thank you for your reply, the doors look as though there was dust/another substance on them prior to spraying so there are a lot of raised areas and also a couple of minor dents. The only way this is rectifyable is to lightly sand them which the door company is willing to do, however to get the same finish they would then need to be Spray painted which they have said will cost us £35 per door.

The only way this is rectifiable is to lightly sand them which the door company is willing to do, however to get the same finish they would then need to be Spray painted which they have said will cost us £35 per door.

When it boils down to cost this perhaps could have been avoided if you'd paid for pre finish rather than primed.

Sponsored Links
Thank you
The two doors that we already have (same manufactuter/supplier) are absolutely fine and we are happy with the finish. Do you think that we are being unreasonable in expecting the new ones to be of the same finish and the ones we already have?

Thank you
The two doors that we already have (same manufactuter/supplier) are absolutely fine and we are happy with the finish. Do you think that we are being unreasonable in expecting the new ones to be of the same finish and the ones we already have?

Unless you bought them days or weeks apart the chances of any finish being the same is slim. You have to take this into account when ordering materials that you want to match.

With priming, no. Priming is only a prepatory paint. If it comes out looking nice it is only by luck, you can't expect it as a consistent guarantee.

Thank you all for your help and advice. Problem has now been resolved..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back