Which wood for a internal door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at making a set of internal doors with a large single glass panel in each that will be top hung using a barn door track. I am looking for recommendations on which type of wood to use as the doors will be primed and painted black to resemble powder coated steel or aluminium. I was thinking of using Poplar as its the cheapest given I am not embellishing or looking for any particular grain and I think Poplar is strong enough for the job.

I would appreciate any input if there is potentially a more suitable but equally cost effective wood I could use?

Sponsored Links
If you want the appearance of metal using timber it will need a thin top covering of mdf as all other timber has a grain which is not usually hidden by paint .
Assume you with be using toughened glass?

Pine is cheaper than poplar..... Why not just weld up a steel frame and clad it with steel sheet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back