Finishing mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know theres a lot of other threads on how to finish, sealetc mdf ... but one thing that i havent been able to have a clear answer on is whether the smooth sides of the mdf need to be sanded prior to sealing and painting.

I've followed other's advice and sanded all sides of mdf boards up to 320 grit before sealing but given how smooth the front and back of mdf bords are, i was wondering whether it was actually necessary - it would def save a ton of time and paper if i only had to sand the cut or routed edges.

Thanks alot!!!

Z

Sponsored Links
No matter how careful you are, you'll always end up with little scratches/ nicks on the smooth faces of the MDF. Your probably doing the right thing by sanding all sides down before finishing.
Just my thoughts on it mate.

Never sand myself, I take care not to damage, if any damage is bad enough to show thru paint then just sand that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back