finishing oak table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anyone advise me on the pros and cons of various finishes for a new oak dining table top. i would like to keep it matt and the grey /brownish colour it has in the raw, not too amber or yellow. durability against hot objects, liquid spills and general abrasion is also another consideration.
i am considering wax, maybe patina wax? or tung oil, PU water based varnish or OSMO waxoil. I am open to other suggestions though if you have experience of them.

Sponsored Links
could anyone advise me on the pros and cons of various finishes for a new oak dining table top. i would like to keep it matt and the grey /brownish colour it has in the raw, not too amber or yellow. durability against hot objects, liquid spills and general abrasion is also another consideration.
i am considering wax, maybe patina wax? or tung oil, PU water based varnish or OSMO waxoil. I am open to other suggestions though if you have experience of them.
personally i would use tung oil you will need to apply quite a few coats and reapply about once a year to keep it protected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back