finishing outdoor seating area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i have an outdoor seating area which we built last year (picture attached).
this has been built out of concrete blocks and rendered - however due to various circumstances when we had it rendered we were unable to render the actual bench part of the seat meaning it was simply exposed concrete.

we needed a temporary fix so had the bench part of the seat tiled over so we had something nicer to sit on, however after the worst winter ever the tiles have been left battered - so my plan is to lift all the tiles and remove the adhesive beneath.

i now just need a simple and acceptable finish for the top part once i remove the tiles and adhesive. I was looking into screed, which is a possibility, but wondered if there's anything else that someone can suggest that's quite easy to do? i wont have access to a cement mixer this time so would have to mix by hand.

i don't mind what colour it is as the whole seating area will be painted once finished, and i'll also be putting cushions over it, so i just need something that's durable and will give a relatively smooth finish.

any suggestions please or thoughts?

regards

Attachments

• seating area .jpg
    seating area .jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 274
Sponsored Links
duck board style removable slatted hardwood panels?
take them indoors when the weather turns and easy to oil or varnish.
or padded cushions
maybe look at boat seating

Thanks but ideally looking to steer away from boards and would prefer something low maintenance like screed or even an outdoor self levelling compound if such a thing exists?

so i think after much research the best option for this would be some sort of paving slab, sandstone block paving could work unless anyone disagrees?

Sponsored Links
Not exactly comfortable, and will be abrasive and leave dust and scratches on clothes/skin. Don't see why you wouldn't use some nice planed and treated timber. Would look much nicer too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back