Floating shower seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are part-way through an extension and trying to sort out a large shower. My wife really wants a seat she can sit on and have the shower massage her shoulders. I suggested a nice wooden bench. She wants something more solid.

I found some images of floating benches which we really like (see below). As you can see in the plans the wall against the long side of the bench is Celcon blockwork. The back wall of the shower with the short side of the bench is going to be studwork.

The images are generated from sketchup which I have used to plan the build. At the moment I am planning to get a simple 1700x900 rectangular shower tray. Hence I would rather have a floating bench than something solid down to the floor. The plan is for tilework above the shower tray on the walls and a 1700mm sliding glass shower door across the front.

After a brief discussion with the plumber today I would appreciate some help:

1. Is the floating seat the best way of achieving what we want?
2. What material options do I have for the seat?
3. How do I mount it to the wall?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Never done it, but my guess would be to attach batons to the two walls, possibly made out of the same material as the bench (marble?). If they are a couple of inches shorter and fairly slim then you should not see them. Then I'd attach 3 resin anchors to the long length of the bench and set them in the wall.

I'd be praying that it doesn't need to come out in the near future as a sledge would be required.

One of your photos shows the bench on large brackets, but I would not describe it as floating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back