Floating seat within shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I am in the process of creating a shower room.

I would like to include a floating seat in the shower, a sort of perch, shelf-like seat. where do I start?

The wall in question is a brick wall, covered in render, the bricks are the kind wich are hollow inside, i'm not sure of the technical name - sorry.

I would love some advice of what this seat needs to be made from, and advice on how it will be fixed to this wall.

It will be tiled when the wall gets tiled.

Many thanks in advance.

Marmotte ;) :?:

Sponsored Links
you must take a bit of care when fixing a wall mounted shower seat.

the concentration of weight and leverage means that a heavy person could easily remove it from the wall unless there are substantial fixings.

i would be nervous about fixing into aerated blocks for example.

fixing into studwork would mean fixing directly into the vertical studs or at least into built-in noggins.

i would go so far as to fix through the wall to a plate the other side! :eek:

Thanks Noseall.

I could see it being ripped out quite easily also.

There is the main house wall just behind this wall. The bricks were an add-in about 20 years ago, I imagine to tidy the line of the house.

If I try to tie the fixings into the end wall, I think I may well end up making a bit of a mess.

So it may be a no-go area unless anyone has any bright ideas for alternative options for those holy bricks that I have.

:cry:

you must take a bit of care when fixing a wall mounted shower seat.

the concentration of weight and leverage means that a heavy person could easily remove it from the wall unless there are substantial fixings.

i would be nervous about fixing into aerated blocks for example.

fixing into studwork would mean fixing directly into the vertical studs or at least into built-in noggins.

i would go so far as to fix through the wall to a plate the other side! :eek:

I would contemplate building a 'L' shaped framework out of angle iron or box section that could be fitted with the 'foot' fixed to the floor under the shower tray, the vertical part fixed to the wall behind the tiles, and the seat fixed to the top, projecting from the wall. Some wall hung WCs and bidets are fixed this way.

That would get all the loads down into the floor rather than relying on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks TicklyT, that sounds like a great option. I'll have a look for some brakets.

p.s. like your motto!

Marmotte

I would contemplate building a 'L' shaped framework out of angle iron or box section that could be fitted with the 'foot' fixed to the floor under the shower tray, the vertical part fixed to the wall behind the tiles, and the seat fixed to the top, projecting from the wall. Some wall hung WCs and bidets are fixed this way.

That would get all the loads down into the floor rather than relying on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back