wall hung shower seat - fixing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Now , i know this is the building section but im looking at finding some sort of high strength fixings

Anyway, I installed a bathroom suite as a favour for a friend as his grandparents are in there 80's and kept getting stuck in the bath. I installed a walk in shower instead of a bath.

The original walls are paramount plaster board so i installed moisture resistant plasterboard on top and then tilled over this. One wall is a partion to the bedroom, so there is no way I could install the seat on this as it just would take the load. However, the other wall, from what i can remember was again paramount board with either concrete block or breeze block as its the gable end of the house.

The seat came with 5 3inch m8 coach bolts with 5 m10 nylon plugs. I installed these but because i couldnt feel myself drilling into the block, i not happy to let them use it. So i went out and bought some m10 rwal bolts, i drilled out the holes to allow for the extra length (100mm) but still did not fell any resistance from the block. I tried a rawl bolt but it not gripping so i dont think they are long enough

can anyone please tell me what fixings i can use to make sure this is going to take the weight of 2 pensioners.

many thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
I would take the tiles off and fix a hefty thick ply (or double ply) pad to the wall - the thickness of the paramount, and then re-tile and fix through into this.

Otherwise you need some long screws to go though the whole lot and into the wall. And if the wall is aerated or clinker breeze, then you nay need a resin fixing

IMO, these seats are always problematic and tend to break or work loose quite quickly. Even the ones with a drop down leg may not last, so the best option may be a stand-alone seat

The most secure way of fixing is to have a ply sandwich with fixings travelling all the way through the wall.

The concentration of force upon these seat fixings is large so individual fixing points may not be enough.

Spreading the force using wide thick ply plates is the best way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back