Fixings for wall hung toilet frame to thermalite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted this to the plumbing group as well but wonder if more appropriate here ...

We have a very small guest toilet and decided to install a wall hung toilet. Have purchased a Grohe 1.13 SL frame. Have also removed ceramic tiles from the wall (and some of the plaster) revealing breeze/thermalite blocks. I dont know anything about the load bearing capabilities of breeze blocks (thermalite blocks?) but suffice to say i can push a screwdriver into the surface (though I haven't tried for more than a few mm). Two brackets are supplied to be fitted to the wall with a carriage bolt 65mm long of which 55mm will screw into a 10x50mm rawl plug also supplied. The frame is also fitted to the floor.

What is the most appropriate method of attaching the bolt to the wall.

1) Drill appropriate hole into the block, insert rawl plug and screw in the bolt - will it hold. Just worried the breeze block will crumble,
2) As above, but secure the rawl plug in with resin. If so do I drill a slightly bigger hole
3) Use some sort of metal anchor (and if so, what), with or without resin
3) Some other method

Many thanks
1659185854951.png

Sponsored Links
Don't know... but you want to search for something like 'thermalite rawl plug'.

The block won't crumble, but you might have issues with the plug slipping under the weight of your fat arse :LOL:

You need fixings rated for the pull out and shear force but resin anchors would work with fully cleaned out holes.

I would be putting in 6inch long threaded rod (basically as long as the bricks are thick).

Not using and Rawl plugs, only threaded rod and resin.

Diameter of threaded rod the same as the bolt you have in your image.
Using resin fix.
And putting a slight downward angle when drilling the hole for the the threaded stud.

And use a straw to blow dust out of bottom of hole before using resin (vac will not work).

Leave about an inch of threaded rod sticking out of the wall.
And use a nut and washer to hold fixings in place.
(Or two nuts and washer with second nut to lock off the first nut).

And a cheap hack saw to cut the threaded stud to length.

Threaded rod

Resin fixings
Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The block won't crumble, but you might have issues with the plug slipping under the weight of your fat arse :LOL:

You need fixings rated for the pull out and shear force but resin anchors would work with fully cleaned out holes.
But Ive really been trying to lose weight ... honest :)

I would be putting in 6inch long threaded rod (basically as long as the bricks are thick).

Not using and Rawl plugs, only threaded rod and resin.

Diameter of threaded rod the same as the bolt you have in your image.
Using resin fix.
And putting a slight downward angle when drilling the hole for the the threaded stud.

And use a straw to blow dust out of bottom of hole before using resin (vac will not work).

Leave about an inch of threaded rod sticking out of the wall.
And use a nut and washer to hold fixings in place.
(Or two nuts and washer with second nut to lock off the first nut).

And a cheap hack saw to cut the threaded stud to length.

Threaded rod

Resin fixings
Sfk

Thanks very much.

I had sort of come to that conclusion - saw a system by Fischer which involves drilling out a conical hole, filling with resin and then, as you say, inserting the threaded rod (Fisher PBB undercut anchor system).

Yes - but for those bricks make sure you clear the hole of as much dust as possible before putting in the rod. I also put a bead of resin along the threaded rod before I pushed it into the hole.

Also put some masking tape on the thread that I wanted to put the nut on - just to ensure that no resin got on that section.

Sfk

One last suggestion - drill the holes and clear the dust. And the put frame against wall. And then put in resin and threaded rod through the holes in the frame. Let dry and put on washers and nuts.

Suggesting this because if rods are slightly out of position you may not be able to subsequently get frame onto them.

And only drill 2/3of the block or the resin will push out when stud it inserted and won't work

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back