Help identifing this block and best fixings to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the blocks used on this wall thermalite?

Looking for the best type of anchor to support drill into this and support heavy items. (wall hung toilet?
Was thinking shield antchors or through bolts?
Is there anything more suitable for this type of thing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some kind of aggregate block, thermalites have more of a closed face often with some wavy lines scored on em. And are soft like an aero. Yours may still be pretty lightweight/soft, but they’re not what’s normally called thermalite.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that

I had noticed the difference look on thermalites with the wavy lines etc. Was not sure if there was any other difference between them other than the look

not wishing to derail things but wall hung toilet should be hung off a proprietary frame surely? if not I'd be just using normal rawlplugs and 100mm screws to screw a couple of lengths of timber to the wall, and strapping the loo to that. As soon as you lengthen the timber it's a longer lever so the forces will be much more reasonable.

not wishing to derail things but wall hung toilet should be hung off a proprietary frame surely? if not I'd be just using normal rawlplugs and 100mm screws to screw a couple of lengths of timber to the wall, and strapping the loo to that. As soon as you lengthen the timber it's a longer lever so the forces will be much more reasonable.

Ahh yes i forgot to mention that there is a frame for w the wc. The wc bolts to the frame and the frame bolts to the wall and floor

they are lightweight aggregate blocks

Thanks. i thought any type of expanding bolt might cause damage to the block or possibly crack it

Ahh yes i forgot to mention that there is a frame for w the wc. The wc bolts to the frame and the frame bolts to the wall and floor

Thanks. i thought any type of expanding bolt might cause damage to the block or possibly crack it
The floor will take the weight - the wall just needs a plug and screw - Fischer nylon plugs are good. If the dust coming from the drilled block is black - it's a cinder block. Is your house pre 60's ?

For what is worth chemical resin anchors and studding make secure anchor points in almost all type of block, brick or stone walls that are too soft for other type of fixings to hold reliably.

One source of the two part resin is LINK

Down side is you have to use the correct concentric gun LINK which is expensive for a one off use.

You only get one shot at the job so ensure the bolts ar in the right place before the resin hardens, ( on a hot day that can be less than 10 minutes )

Yes nige f is spot on some decent wall plugs should be enough due to the low forces. But again, if you're concerned, get a sheet of decent thick ply and fix that to the wall with more fixings, then fix the loo to the ply.

Yours is probably the correct name for cinder blocks.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back