Alternative to Airated Blocks for Inner Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm on the verge of having the walls built for my new garage (detatched from my house). My builder has heavy concrete blocks for the external wall (heavy to lift) and is using Thermalite type blocks for the interior wall.

The thermalite blocks seem very brittle and I am worried that they would not be able to handle shelving as drilling plugging would crack the blocks.

Is there an alternative to airated blocks for the interior wall? Could the heavy concrete blocks being used on the exterior wall be used on the interior wall as well?

I'm also going to be having my house extended after the garage is completed and am thinking the same would apply to the inner wall for the house, i.e. is there an alternative to using airated blocks for the inner wall?

Your thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thermalite (celcons) blocks are fine we use them on both skins of brick/block work on site
DSC00447.jpg

render the out side and hardwall and skim the inside sorted
no need for concrete clocks unless you want to paymore money
DSC00451.jpg

Hi,

I'm on the verge of having the walls built for my new garage (detatched from my house). My builder has heavy concrete blocks for the external wall (heavy to lift) and is using Thermalite type blocks for the interior wall.

The thermalite blocks seem very brittle and I am worried that they would not be able to handle shelving as drilling plugging would crack the blocks.

Is there an alternative to airated blocks for the interior wall? Could the heavy concrete blocks being used on the exterior wall be used on the interior wall as well?

I'm also going to be having my house extended after the garage is completed and am thinking the same would apply to the inner wall for the house, i.e. is there an alternative to using airated blocks for the inner wall?

Your thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, why are you having a cavity wall built for a garage? I can't see any benefit at all as even if you heat it - which most people don't - there will be a huge uninsulated area in the shape of a garage door... :confused:

Thermalite blocks shouldn't be any more brittle than dense blocks, although many people disagree with this. They are rated the same as dense blocks for compression and much the same for flexure.
You shouldn't crack them when drilling as you don't even need to have your drill on hammer action. There are many fixings available specifically for aerated blocks although for heavy loads you will need resin fixings.

There is nothing to stop you using dense blocks for both inner and outer leaves, especially for a garage. For your house extension you just have to ensure that you comply with Part L of the Building Regulations for heat loss. Aerated blocks are much more efficient and will either give you a better U-value or allow you to have a smaller cavity.

Up to you really...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy responses, you have put my mind at rest! Thanks to your advice, I'm now comfortable with thermalite blocks on the inside wall.

Cavity wall for a garage is overkill I know, but I'm thinking in the future we would have the option of using it as living accomodation.

One final question - would it be OK to paint the external wall to seal instead of rendering? Any specific paint recommendations?

Thanks.

I'm only a DIYer so I have no definitive advice.
However, if you intend to just paint the outside, use 'paint finish' blocks. They have a much smoother finish to them and it'll save a lot of hassle when you're painting.

I used a painted exterior on bare 'paint finish' blocks for my workshop and they do the job fine.

However, and 'cos of your other comment, I'm not sure that BCO would accept a 'just painted' exterior surface for habitable spaces. I suspect that they would insist on a rendered exterior finish. How you could achieve that after painting, I don't know, but I'm sure it's possible.

if you want them to be a bit harder agenst knocks and bumps render it
that the gives you a backing coat if you ever want to plaster it and live in it when the misiss kicks you out for walking mud and greace in

Is it my eye or is there a distinct lack of tie wires in the wall. I can see some at the very ends but none between :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back