new kitchen extension walls??

18 Jun 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi again, Got the old house completely gutted and chuffed with condition of walls and joists/rafters. Demolished outbuilding and starting to organise founds for new (small extension) build. However after quoting Walls construction on drawing (having obtained Planning and Building Regs Approval) as...100mm concrete block outer leaf + 50mm cavity + 65mm celotex +inner leaf of 115mm celcon blockwork.....I've been informed that because it's a kitchen then inner leaf should be concrete blockwork because Thermalite blocks (Celcon) is/are a nightmare for fixing anything heavy to it -like heavy kitchen units. Can anyone advise please.
Sponsored Links
Aerated blocks are ok to fix to provided the fixer knows what he is doing i.e. uses long enough and big enough screws for the task.

Lightweight aggregate blocks like fibolites or hemelites will be more than man enough.
Why is it necessary to use lightweight blocks on the inside, I have just finished a similar extension and used concrete blocks throughout, with the same insulation as yours. You can get a good deal on blocks if you purchase the lot in one delivery.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local