Dry lining should I insulate first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I have built a conservatory on my semi detatched house and my neighbour and I share a party wall on the connected side. We have both built conservatorys at the same time.
The party block wall is 9 inch thick and on my side I want to dry line. As it is not an external wall can I just board onto this wall or should I insulated first batten off then board onto the battens?

On the other two walls these are outer concrete block cavity with inner thermalite blocks. Again should I insulate or dot and dab straight onto the blocks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's not much point insulating a connie as most of the heat is lost through the roof and the glazing. I did insulate my walls though, simply to prevent cold spot occurring.

Thanks noseall
How did you insulate and what products did you use. A friend of mine has suggested foil backed plasterboard for dot and dab. Not really sure the next step. Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a token gesture you could poke some insulation down the cavities if you have access. Insulating the solid 9" wall may afford you some sound insulation also.

The 9" solid wall could be dabbed with insulation backed boards, though i can't envisage it doing a lot more than simply dabbing 12.5mm plain boards.

Foil backed boards can not be dabbed (they need to be mechanically fixed) and are used as a vapour check only. They offer very little insulation value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back