fixing wall plate andother questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of re building part of a stable block as we are converting to a granny annexe. I am almost ready to fix the wall plate but want to check few things.

The wall is built with blocks ( solid no cavity ) and is 215mm wide do I follow the old part of the stable and just put up a 3inch by 4inch wall plate or do I span the wall 215mm ?

Next if I do just keep the 3X4 with this fixed on the outer part of the wall if I use straps is it ok to bend them again so a basic L shape strap then has an extra bend in it ?

do need to bolt the wall plate down also if so can someone recommend a product. e.g. drill , resin and bolt

lastly a question re joining the new part of the walls to old part. Building control said they should not be fixed directly but looking into this I cannot find product to do this is it just a sealant between the gap?

Sorry loads of questions I really appreciate all the help I get on the forum.
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Wall plate usually goes on the inner part of the wall, and is then tied down to the wall with long straps.

Don't see why building control insist that new and existing walls are separate?
Ours often insist that new wallls are bonded to existing or tied mechanically.
You can get starter strips with adjustable angles for building-in, but proper traditional bonding is better IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back