Wall plates on internal wall, external wall or both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of doing my roof.
It's a cavity wall. My question is do I put the wall plate on the internal block work only, if so what do I do with the gap on the external block work?
I was planning on putting wall plates on both inner and outer block work.
Inner block work is slightly higher then external block work.
I've also been advised to put some DPC in between the blockwork and Timber, but have also read that this weakens the join between the timber and block work. Plan on strapping down the wall plates with wall straps. Is there any sort of distance I should leave between the wall straps?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of doing my roof.
It's a cavity wall. My question is do I put the wall plate on the internal block work only, if so what do I do with the gap on the external block work?
I was planning on putting wall plates on both inner and outer block work.
Inner block work is slightly higher then external block work.
I've also been advised to put some DPC in between the blockwork and Timber, but have also read that this weakens the join between the timber and block work. Plan on strapping down the wall plates with wall straps. Is there any sort of distance I should leave between the wall straps?
I'm going to say inner leaf only, but I haven't the foggiest idea what you are building and neither does my mate below, Old Mystic Mike.

I'm going to say inner leaf only, but I haven't the foggiest idea what you are building and neither does my mate below, Old Mystic Mike.

Sorry,

I'm building a outhouse. I'll attach some pics.
So what goes in the gap on the exterior wall?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 21.10.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 21.10.51.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 84
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 21.11.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-05 at 21.11.47.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 93
Sorry,

I'm building a outhouse. I'll attach some pics.
So what goes in the gap on the exterior wall?
Flat roof or pitched?
If flat, you don't necessarily need a wall plate. But typically on the inside course with an added course of bricks externally, depending how you intend finishing the soffit/eaves detail - hence the question flat roof or pitched. You may wish to brick the joists in (both leaves) and continue the cavity insulation to the underside of the warm deck (?), in which case, you would not include a wall plate at all. I'm relying on Mystic Mike more and more.

Those blue bricks below DPC could do with another coat of render. (y)
How are you going to tie/lap the DPM onto the DPC course?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Flat roof or pitched?
If flat, you don't necessarily need a wall plate. But typically on the inside course with an added course of bricks externally, depending how you intend finishing the soffit/eaves detail - hence the question flat roof or pitched. You may wish to brick the joists in (both leaves) and continue the cavity insulation to the underside of the warm deck (?), in which case, you would not include a wall plate at all. I'm relying on Mystic Mike more and more.

Those blue bricks below DPC could do with another coat of render. (y)
How are you going to tie/lap the DPM onto the DPC course?
Apologies again, I'm new to all this. So far I've been trying to learn everything watching YouTube and reading forums, only just occurred to me to ask my self on a forum.

The plan is to make a cold flat roof, with the 120mm insulation at the bottom.
I was planning on putting 4x2 wall plates all around the top of both leaves and then securing the 7x2 to the 4x2 timbers.
Soffit boards will go all the way round with 200mm vented boards on the left which will be the highest point and 100mm vented boards on the right lowest point.

I haven't planned for the DPM on to the DPC. Not sure what that means? I think I'm missing something.

Blue bricks at the bottom, was planning on leaving them exposed and k rendering all of the block work around. Again I'm probably missing something with the render suggestion.

Thank you for the responses so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back