Wall plate fixing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my walls are up I have put on my wall plates on a bed of mortar but now need to use the fixing straps. I know it's the bat galvanised ones but they have 3 lengths how do I tell what length I need. The building with the new roof is only 1/3 of the building length approx 4 m long

In the structural eng report he states at 1.2 centres but nothing else the walls are of solid block construction and 215 mm thick also best length screw to use
Any advice appreciated

Sorry another question what do you think about the new thin straps with special bend at the top ? Or should I stick with the thick ones? Do I also need special screw type

Cliff[/b]

Sponsored Links
The thin straps are fine, they are approved for building control. 1.2m centres is normal, use 1 1/2" x 10 screws in brown wall plugs. It's only since trussed rafter roofs were invented that straps have been specified, and all the cut roofs built without are still there.

Go for 1m long straps.

The longer ones are for restraining i.e. where they need to cross over three joists or rafters etc.

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to say all worked fine and went up a treat.

Fine straps all ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back