Does Wall plate have to be mortared on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As in the title. Top of inner leaf is pretty level. Do I need a bed of mortar to set the wall plate on? Or just fit restraining straps?

My 2x4 has a very slight bend so I was thinking sod the mortar and just strap tight.

Sponsored Links
As far as I was aware, mortar was just to bed it on, if your wood is warped why bother, I would just just stick an extra strap on it.

Why not use a squizz of adhesive then strap it up.

I did similar but also put some masonry screws in the wall plate, down into the brick, every 500mm

The mortar is to spread the weight from any point contacts, not to stick it down.

Sponsored Links
It's like the old conundrum - is the purpose of mortar to keep the bricks together or apart?

The problem with putting mortar on first, is that most of it will get sqeezed out as you clamp down the wall plate. I'd use mortar, and a straight wall plate, but if you'r sticking with the one you've got, then I suspect the strap to hold in place would be sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back