Converting shower room to laundry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone,
The boss has spoken.
As we haven't used the shower room downstairs for 5 years, she wants the washing machine out of the kitchen (soon to be rebuilt)
There's a shower tray on a concrete base, so very solid.
My idea is to fill the tray with concrete so to have a smooth and solid surface for the washing machine to sit on.
I would like not to remove the tray if possible.
The internal part of the tray to be filled is 650x650, so perfect for the wm.
Any better idea or is my plan sound?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220209_090129.jpg
    20220209_090129.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
So your intention is to to fill a very smooth 50mm deep shower tray with concrete and expect the concrete to stay intact whilst the W/M vibrates and spins away like crazy?

Sponsored Links
Piece of 18mm ply to cover the tray. Tube of grab adhesive to stick it in place. Job done.

Have you considered the option of tanking it and having a wetroom-cum-laundry instead?

Nozzle

Come on Johnny, rip it all out including the tiles and start again. You know you want to.

Tell the wife its her birthday and Christmas present.

Andy

So your intention is to to fill a very smooth 50mm deep shower tray with concrete and expect the concrete to stay intact whilst the W/M vibrates and spins away like crazy?
There's nowhere for the concrete to go.
I could grind the tray to rough it up.
Piece of 18mm ply to cover the tray. Tube of grab adhesive to stick it in place. Job done.
I thought of that, but then I have to buy the plywood, instead I have ballast and cement left over from a job last week.
Have you considered the option of tanking it and having a wetroom-cum-laundry instead?
Nozzle
Boll@x that!
I'm trying to do less work, not more :ROFLMAO:
Come on Johnny, rip it all out including the tiles and start again. You know you want to.

Tell the wife its her birthday and Christmas present.

Andy
And boll@x that! :ROFLMAO:

As above.
Why not Remove the tray and all items connected or surrounding it.
What you propose will be a codge, and probably look bad.
Given if you codge this what do you intend with the proposed kitchen fitting?
My experience is limited but many short cuts in the building trade lead to long run expense and irritations.

Say you insecurely "mount" the w/m, & it vibrates off the pedestal ripping off supply and drain hose when you are out for the day? Extreme but ...

As above.
Why not Remove the tray and all items connected or surrounding it.
What you propose will be a codge, and probably look bad.
Given if you codge this what do you intend with the proposed kitchen fitting?
My experience is limited but many short cuts in the building trade lead to long run expense and irritations.

Say you insecurely "mount" the w/m, & it vibrates off the pedestal ripping off supply and drain hose when you are out for the day? Extreme but ...
The boss likes it higher.
How is broken plaster and smashed tiles going to look better than a tiled surface?
I don't know what machine you use, but anything built in the past 15 years doesn't bounce about.
Mine has been on shiny tiles for a few years and never moved, why would it move on concrete which is not as smooth?
Remember, I'm trying to retain as much as possible, not smashing everything up and rebuild the room.

"The boss likes it higher" Thats new information? Anything else that you've forgotten to mention?
Where exactly did I mention "broken plaster and smashed tiles"?
Is that what you did to your bathroom when installing the w/m?
Or is "smashing everything up" what you typically do when doing simple DIY stuff?
Nothing to be ashamed of if you are out of your depth, so no reason to get excited but you did ask for any "better idea"

Remember I'm suggesting the best solution for you in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back