Converting downstairs shower cubicle to house washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm due to move into a property with a downstairs shower room inc. toilet/basin.

I have no use for the shower [its built into the wall, rather than standalone].

I would like to decommision the shower and place a washing machine in its place, so the room with be a downstairs toilet-cum-utility room.

Is this doable/legal?

Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
yes, its often done and is legal. check with the elec forum for their views on this.
washing machines and dryers can be stacked to save space.

If there is no longer a fixed bath or shower in the room, it is of no particular interest electrically. WC and wash-basin do not bring special requirements.

But have separate single sockets for the washer and drier (and iron or other hot appliances)

Don't run more than one such appliance off a double socket, adaptor or multiplug as it is liable to overheat, due to the power taken by multiple heating elements.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you intend to reuse the existing shower drainage, I'd check it is free flowing before connecting to it. Washing machines pump the water out at a fair rate, if the pipework is clogged and the water cannot get away quickly enough, it may overflow.

Electrics will need to be done in accordance with the regs, sockets correct distance away from the basin etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back