Finishing plasterboard joints around existing wall/ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me...

I plan on separating a large bedroom by building a partition wall to create a smaller bedroom and separate home office. I plan on building this from timber and plasterboard. To keep costs down I plan on painting the plasterboard after it has been finished rather than having the whole thing plastered. I am fairly confident about building the actual wall and installing the plasterboard however I am a bit unsure what to do with the joints where the new wall will meet the old wall (left and right) and also the ceiling. In understand I need to use tape to reinforce the joints and I was planning on using easi-fill however will this not leave a slightly noticeable ‘raised’ area around the partition wall – even after sanding? Has anyone got any tips?

I was also planning on using tapered edge plasterboard. However after planning the whole thing I am only going to have 1 full tapered edge join – basically because of the size and also where I plan on installing the door. The other joints will be standard butt joints. Is it really worth using tapered edge board for the benefit of 1 joint – different if it was a full sized wall or ceiling I was doing?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mark

Sponsored Links
if you use tapered boards these are then taped and jointed to create a smoothe finish,idea is to build a wall using the tappered boards to keep it level.
if you end up with butt joints then to blend these you need to cover a bigger area for feathering.
to finish against walls just use decorators chaulk.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Is decorator’s chaulk okay for around the corners? I will be buying a bag of easi-fill anyway. I don’t mind taping the internal angle joints as well if this is the best way forward. I was just concerned there would be a noticeable build up of filler around the new wall where it meets the ceiling and existing walls. Long as it will look pretty decent I don’t mind. I know the only way to get perfection is having it plastered but I really don’t want to go down that route for a stud wall which hardly anyone will see.

Thanks again

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sorry meant to add this to my previous post.

If I go ahead with using tapered edge plasterboard is it ok to start in a corner (where the old wall meets the new stud wall - 90o angle) with the tapered edge or is it advisable to trim this of in this situation.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back