finishing rough sawn timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have recently had a loft conversion done. I have almost finished all the decorating, however i'm unsure what to do about the purlins, which are exposed in the new room. They are rough sawn unfinished timber.

I was wondering whether I could dark woodstain these, or prime, and then apply the same emulsion as I applied to the walls?

Sponsored Links
You do whatever you like really...both options will work...depends on what looks better in the room

If you go for the stain then I would suggest giving them a coat of oil based flat varnish after...its a more natural lool

Or, as you said, paint...you can get away with using a thin coat of emulsion first then finishing with a full coat

Or...prime with acrylic primer then emulsion.

I haven't a clue on type of paint, just make sure the purlin can breathe as it's important part of the roof structure.

Zampa may know, treated it with oil???

Thanks for the info

Distemper is porous, but very expensive. My dad uses it on the walls in his very old house as the walls are constructed using lime mortar, and must be allowed to breath.

I don't know whether matt emulsion might be ok for this.

Sponsored Links
Hmm...ok then what about using contract emulsion instead?

Its vapour permiable unlike ordinary vinyl matt and its cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back