Finishing touches to a feather edge fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making a feather edge fence for my parents. What should I use along the top of the fence to stop damp penetrating the boards?

Sponsored Links
nothing. i havent any on mine, been there for over a year, bottonm are going grren on some but not the tops

you can run a capping and cant rail along the top, but no real need if youre using decent stuff

I'm thinking of doing something similar - hope you don't mind me attaching a bit to this thread rikki...

Is feather edge fence good for mechanical strength - I'm thinking of putting a run to separate garden <-> neighbours backed up against the small wall down the LHS in pic - I'm wondering if this form of fence is suitable based on the fact it's not totally protected from cross winds....or would there be a better option. The ground isn't level so I figured feather edge structure would follow ground line pretty much...piccy link attached ....

my plan is to sink 8ft 4"*4" post into ground using aggregate mix spaced 2.4m apart - fix cross supports & gravel board, then screw feather edge 1.8m to the cross supports top & bottom....

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/rlc_2007/21012007003.jpg

Sponsored Links
closeboard will foloow the line of the slope well. its about the strongest option compared to panels etc. Dont screw the feather edge, nail it with annular nails if you dont have a nail gun. Go to a decent fencing supplier, get mortised posts and ended arris rails, should be able to do 3 or 3.6m bays.

Thermo: do you have any links that show a closeboard fence and how it follows the line of a slope...just want to get a visual picture of the top..Thanks

nice one thanks for the links masona.......just one final question....whats the technique for cutting the tops/bottoms to look neat/ follow the slope? Do you cut each one as a case by case....I assume you also cut the bottom to the same angle so the gravel board maintains an uniform look.

Cheers ~rls

I put the gravel board in first then you will know the cut angle of the bottom and let the feather edge run past the line at the top then I use a chalk line from post to post and cut it in one go

A sliding bevel will be a useful tool for the angle cut at the bottom

depends how steep the slope is, low gradients dont need trimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back