Feather edge fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my garden fence with 7ft feather edge boards, I want to use feather edge for privicy between my neighbours garden as I have found the previous fence boards butted together when fitted dry out and shrink leaving quite a gap between fence boards.
I want the fence to last so what thickness of fence boards should I go far, do I have any better options instead of feather edge boards considering I dont want any gaps appearing on the fence.
Should you always fit a gravel board.

Sponsored Links
I moved into a house with just that issue, fence dried out, and thin as popodoms, most likely not been looked after with annual wood treatment (£5!)

B&Q did them at 3mm thick panels. waney lap design. The local farmer / fence builder was selling them at the same price but 8mm thick panel pieces. He was buying his own tree trucks and making them from scratch.

The gravel is a must, you can't argue against them, unless ur planning on leaving a large clearance?

I'd suggest you replace like for like, assuming you already had 7ft fence ale ready there? It can get a tad 'sticky' should your neighbour raise concerns with the local council

(Pvt message me if you want the fencer's details)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 364
Thanks for reply, I am going for individual fence boards, I am not a fan of fence panels i don't think they last as long

You can have the boards like in your last house but then put either a thinner batten over the gap or another board. This gives the privacy of featheredge but the quality and solidity of 1'' thick fence boards.

Sponsored Links
You can have the boards like in your last house but then put either a thinner batten over the gap or another board. This gives the privacy of featheredge but the quality and solidity of 1'' thick fence boards.
Yes I did think of this but thought they might not look as good but then again it is for my back garden so it might be a good idea, also the fence fitter is having trouble getting 7ft brown feather board timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back