Finishing Touches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed some french doors (upvc) , the bad news is that unfortunately some of the pebble dash surround got damaged and fell off, however the good news is it fell evenly in line to the lintle, my plan is to carefully remove the pebble dash in line with the rest of the brickwork and then cement / mortar an even layer on all the surround and then paint white with masonry paint, the advice that i am seeking is what would be the best mix/ratio for the cement/mortar or even a recommendation for a pre-mixed bag that i can pick up locally, any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
There are diffrent methods but this one works for me.....
First fix wide battens on the face of the brickwork/dash strips of ply/mdf will do fine,fix them with 3 screws and plugs top middle and bottom.
The ply should overlap the reveals about 8-10mm giving you a straight edge to trowel off.
Then dust down brickwork to be rendered and mix some pva glue at a 5-1 ratio with water(5 parts being the water) and paint onto the brickwork this will seal the bricks.
While this is drying mix some more pva and water at a 3-1 ratio and dry mix your sand and cement at a 3parts soft sand and 1 part cement.
Now paint your pva mix on the brickwork and add your water to cement again throw some pva into cement to help adhesion.
The wall your rendering will be tacky when you start spreading your cement so it should stick like nobodys buisness and i would expect you will need to do 2 coats first to fill voids etc and second to get your final finish.
First coat of render should be scratched horizontly to give key for second coat and second coat should be applied whilst first coat is firm but not dry.
A couple of hours later carefully remove the battens and tidy up what should be a neat front edge with your trowel.
Sounds alot of work but would take around 90 minutes,pick your morning well as low temps or ovenight frosts will ruin your work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back