Finishing walls around a log burner/multi fuel stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting here rather than a painting or plastering forum because i'm open to all possibilities. I don't want to limit to just painting for example.

We're soon to be having a multi fuel stove installed. The chimney breast has currently been tanked & Sovereign renderlite applied on top so it's ready to now be boarded/skimmed.

The thing is if you skim it & then install the fire .... untouched plaster looks a bit, well not great. Painting i imagine would be awkward once the fire is in (plus i don't know if it'd mark up with any smoke/soot or whatever).

So then i'm wondering if you can have some other finish that may look ok? My first thought was tiles but i would imagine they'd crack too easily with the heat, so i don't really know what else to think of.

For the record i'm talking about the recess, not the face of the chimney breast or the side, i'm talking about the recess where the actual fire itself will be placed.

Oh & i'll be having black Indian stone flags down for the hearth too.

Sponsored Links
I've posted a similar type question myself tonight and have spent all night looking at different options online.
I'm now thinking I may use brick slips....
They are real brick so not effected by heat....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back